User Guide for Sponsors
This guide provides a brief overview of the Center's mission, research work, and the benefits of sponsorship. It explains how sponsors can to stay up-to-date with our latest research findings through project reports, books and publications, and executive education programs that are designed to provide the latest, innovative thinking on current organization design and effectiveness issues.
The Center for Effective Organizations was founded in 1979. Our mission is to improve how organizations are managed--by working with companies to research and develop practical, useful knowledge on leading-edge issues of organization design and effectiveness.
CEO has an international reputation for pioneering work on organizational effectiveness. Our researchers work with organizations to determine the connection between how they are managed and their performance.
- CEO has developed a community of researchers and practitioners dedicated to creating effective organizations.
- CEO researchers conduct large-scale, multi-year, global research studies, as well as focused projects in organizations.
- Many research projects involve a change effort. This ensures that our research yields practical, applicable knowledge that enables organizations to design and implement changes that improve their performance.
- In order to disseminate our learnings to the business community, results of our research are published in leading business and academic journals, books, and practitioner publications
- Research areas: Our research takes an in-depth look at the complexities and nuances of managing organizations. Our work includes research in the areas of organization design, change management, strategic human resources management, sustainability, talent management, leadership development, compensation and performance management, corporate governance, and knowledge management
CEO is supported by a network of over 50 Fortune 1000 companies. Corporate sponsors provide financial support for our research work, our extensive portfolio of working papers, and our service programs. Sponsors benefit from current thinking on issues facing their organization and have access to timely research learnings that are the direct result of CEO's research sponsor network.
Sponsorship of the Center
- New sponsors contribute $25,000 annually to support the Center's work.
- Sponsors often provide research locations and regularly participate in CEO educational programs.
- The Center's Advisory Board is a group of senior executives, selected from our corporate sponsor network, to provide overall strategic direction and guidance for the Center.
- HCEO Advisory Board members help guide the Human Capital and Effective Organizations Certificate program. Selected from our corporate sponsor network, these senior executives ensure that our emphasis focuses on the forefront of important developments.
Sponsor contacts are CEO's main link within a sponsor company and are asked to help manage the following aspects of the sponsor relationship within their company.
- Manage the company's annual sponsorship renewal upon receipt of CEO's invoice
- Forward information, about upcoming executive education programs and topical teleconferences and webinars, to other appropriate individuals within the company
- Inform others within the company of CEO's extensive working paper series; distribute the user name and password, which is required to download these papers
- Provide contact information for 10-15 of the company's top HR executives, and any others, who would benefit from receiving information about our research work and programs
- Facilitate consideration of occasional CEO research proposals within the company
- Provide annual input to develop the agenda of the Sponsors' Meeting; attend the meeting
As a result of CEO's research, publications, and executive education programs, our corporate sponsors have access to some of the most innovative thinking as well as the latest research learnings, on current issues that influence organizational effectiveness.
Corporate sponsors receive a variety of benefits--online access to CEO's latest research learnings on critical business issues; our searchable publication series; significant discounts on research project work and executive education programs; opportunities for discussion with leading research scientists through our sponsor-only teleconferences and webinars; complimentary books and materials.
Maintaining a close relationship with our sponsors is vital to the success of CEO. In order to facilitate this relationship, we appoint a CEO research scientist who is the Center's primary contact for each sponsor company.
- Priority access to advice and research findings from leading researchers
- Obtain the latest thinking on critical business issues facing your company
- Converse with Center research scientists, who are leading experts in the areas we research, via teleconferences and webinars
- Gain exposure to practical knowledge, frameworks, models, and leading-edge research findings, and learn how to apply them to today's business environment
- Receive speaker recommendations for company meetings; Receive recommendations for company contacts that are facing issues similar to yours
- Research scientists can be contacted independently for requests to do consulting work, or to give an external presentation
We are committed to creating and disseminating new and useful knowledge to business and academic communities. Corporate sponsors are invited to participate in CEO research projects. They can use $5,000 of their sponsor fee to support a research project of their choice. Corporate sponsors also receive:
- Significantly reduced project rates on all research work done in conjunction with CEO
- A ten percent (10%) discount applied to already significantly reduced research project rates for work conducted by the Center.
- First priority in obtaining the Center's help with sponsor company initiated research
CEO is widely recognized for its outstanding executive education programs in human resources management, including a Business Week ranking as one of the top three university programs. The Center's research over the last 30 years forms the foundation for these programs. Sponsors receive significant discounts over the regular registration and certificate programs fees.
CEO offers 7 interactive seminars/workshops, 2 certificate programs and custom workshops for companies.
Seminars and workshops are based on current research learnings that are translated into practical models and frameworks that are applicable in today's business environment.
- Learn from leaders in the field of organization effectiveness and strategic human resources management
- Gain experience from real-world examples
- Seminars may be taken individually or in combination as part of our certificate programs
- Seminar and workshop topic areas include:Organization Design, Complex Change, HR Metrics and Analytics, HR and Organization Strategy Analysis, Leadership, and Talent Management
CEO offers two certificate programs that are available to sponsors at a discount.
This program is designed to develop the next generation of human resource leaders--those responsible for establishing deep and specific connections between their business strategies and their human and organization capital.
The HCEO certificate develops 5 key competencies:
- Business Strategy Analysis
- Organization Design
- Change Implementation
- Talent Management and Leadership Development
- Measurement of Human Capital and Organization Effectiveness
This program is designed for those who are interested in acquiring a more extensive specialty in the area of organization design. The program consists of three parts.
- Strategic Organization Design Workshop--provides an overview of foundational organization design frameworks and organization design approaches to address the current design challenges of the dynamic global economy.
- Advanced Topics in Organization Design--entails pre-reading, in-depth casework, design practice, and deeper exposure to design topics processes and implementation.
- Organization Design Project--participants complete either a case study of an actual organizational redesign, or a diagnosis and proposal for a redesign approach.
Special Interest Group Meetings
Industry leaders, CEO research scientists, and other leading experts gather to collaborate and explore research issues and findings that are of emerging importance.
One recent example is the working conference on Economic, Social and Environmental Sustainability, held in partnership with the USC Center for Sustainable Cities. The conference was designed to build collaborative networks to share knowledge and help define the research agenda on important topics that advance thinking and practice in this area.
Teleconferences and Webinars (complimentary for sponsors)
- Opportunity to hear Center researchers discussing recent research work and findings and how they are applicable to your organization
- Complimentary, quarterly teleconferences are available to sponsors only
- Unlimited number of sponsor company members may participate
CEO Publications (complimentary for sponsors)
- Working Papers Series. This extensive, searchable, online resource provides more than 550 downloadable working papers and research reports published by the Center. PDF files can be downloaded via our website with the use of your company username and password
- Receive notification of new additions to our working papers, which provides information on the latest developments on a wide range of research topics
- Receive a complimentary copy of new books published by Center research scientists
- Additional copies of books are available for purchase through the Center; significant discounts are available for volume purchases
- receive a complimentary copy of Center video productions.
Sponsors' Meeting (complimentary for sponsors)
- CEO hosts a two-day meeting that is designed to develop a network of sponsors and researchers who are involved in new approaches to managing corporations
- The meeting is framed around current issues and initiatives that many of our sponsors are addressing and brings together, for discussion, recent CEO research findings and sponsor company practices that focus on these issues
- two attendees per sponsor company are invited to attend (more attendees can be accommodated upon request)
Enrollment in USC Marshall Corporate Alliance Program
CEO sponsors have access to i4cp's HCM Base domain
Your cart is empty
Center for Effective Organizations
- University of Southern California
- 3415 S. Figueroa Street
- Davidson Conference Center 200
- Los Angeles, CA 90089–0871
- usc marshall school of business