Professor and Research Director
Dr. Boudreau is recognized worldwide for breakthrough research on the bridge between superior human capital, talent and sustainable competitive advantage. His research has received the Academy of Management’s Organizational Behavior New Concept and Human Resource Scholarly Contribution awards.
Research Partners & Clients
Dr. Boudreau consults and conducts executive development with companies worldwide that seek to maximize their employees’ effectiveness by quantifying the strategic bottom-line impact of superior people and human capital strategies. He works with companies as diverse as early-stage startups, to non-profit organizations, to some of the world’s largest multinational corporations, including Boeing, Corning, Frito-Lay, GE, Hartford, IBM, Mattel, Merck, Microsoft, Novartis, Royal Dutch Shell, Sun Microsystems, Unilever, the United Nations, and Williams-Sonoma. He was an architect and the first Visiting Director of Sun Microsystems’ unique Research and Development Laboratory for Human Capital.
The recipient of the General Mills Award for teaching innovations at Cornell University, Dr. Boudreau also founded the Central Europe Human Resource Education Initiative, which links American HR professionals and academic researchers with faculty and students in the Czech and Slovak Republics. A strong proponent of corporate/academic partnerships, Dr. Boudreau has directed the Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies (CAHRS), which partners executives from America’s top corporations with university researchers and students to explore leading-edge HR issues. This Cornell University think tank has generated groundbreaking insights and practical solutions for the human resource challenges that affect most organizations today. Dr. Boudreau is a Fellow of the National Academy of Human Resources. He has served on the board of advisors for the Human Resource Planning Society, and for WorldatWork. He is a Trustee for the Foundation of the National Academy of Human Resources. He chaired the Academic Advisory Board of the California Strategic HR Partnership, a silicon-valley HR executive consortium, and served on the boards of advisors for the Saratoga Institute, a leading global source of human capital benchmarking and performance measures. He has also been elected to the executive committees of the Human Resources Division of the Academy of Management and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
BBA – New Mexico State University
MSIA – Purdue University
PhD – Purdue University
Connect with John on LinkedIn
Search for additional information at Google Scholar
Audio and Video
- Bill Kutik Radio Show, March 2015
- Interview with Executive Networks, December 2014
- Norway HR Forum, December, 2014
- Interview with Editor David Shadovitz at HR Technology Conference, November 2014
- KPCC’s Fresh Air Interview on Importance of College, March 2014
- KPCC’s Fresh Air Interview on Good Managers, March 2014
- Money for Lunch Interview, May 2014
- SHRM Interview on Evaluating HR Differently, October 2013
- Talent Management Executive Leadership Event
- Human Capital Exchange Book Discussion, April 6, 2012
- Bill Kutik Radio Show, January 2009
- Interview on YouTube, discussing his book Beyond HR, June 2007
- Talking about the science of human capital, HBR IdeaCast 50